If you are among those who have lost teeth, you can have different possible solutions. Out of many, dentures are the best to restore a functional and beautiful smile. Although dentures aren’t subject to tooth decay, your oral hygiene habits become crucial if you want to prolong the life of dentures. This way, your oral health will improve, and you will have an odour-free smile.
When cleaning dentures, many people leave them in their mouth while brushing. Although this can be convenient, one must think about the cleaning routine. Here’s what you must learn about how to clean dentures.
Can the Dentures Get Discoloured?
When we buy new dentures, their sparkly whiteness is blinding, and we feel that our smile can outshine everything. Over time, the whiteness of the dentures starts to fade, and they become discoloured. They are made of acrylic, a material that can easily pick up stains. The foods and liquids that we eat can cause discolouration of dentures.
It is worth mentioning that the main culprits for the discolouration of dentures are tomatoes, berries, sauce, and red wine. The usage of tobacco is another main cause of denture discolouration. Other than that, when we smoke cigarettes, they coat the dentures with nicotine and tar, thus giving a yellowish tint to the dentures. If you want to stay on the safe side, it is important that you consume light-coloured foods and liquids and lay off cigarettes.
How to Clean Your Dentures?
Normally, people don’t have time for a lengthy oral hygiene routine, so they look for easy ways to clean dentures. It is possible to save time while effectively cleaning the dentures through the following tips.
- It is always better not to boil the dentures or expose them to hot water, as it can cause them to warp.
- Daily clean the dentures with a soft-bristled toothbrush and dish soap. Try not to use regular kinds of toothpaste, as they could damage the dentures because of being abrasive.
- You need to handle the dentures with two hands. Alternatively, if you drop the dentures, you could provide more protection by placing a tower on the counter.
- After usage, remove the dentures every night. It is better to soak them in a cleaning solution so that any bacteria or plaque can be removed that has been left by the toothbrush.
- If you want thorough cleaning and adjustment of the dentures, the best way is to regularly visit your dentist to ensure that the dentures can serve you for many years.
Is it Necessary to Clean the Dentures?
Many people may not be aware that even if they have a healthy mouth, it could harbour several bacterial species that can cause oral inflammation and aggravate the infection. Therefore, you must keep the dentures clean if you want good oral hygiene. Normally, it is better to clean the surface of the denture every day, especially those parts that come in contact with the gums.
If you find any food debris and want to remove it, try using denture cream with a specially designed brush. After that, soak the dentures in a solution to keep them fresh. It is worth mentioning that following the manufacturer’s instructions is best.
Denture Cleaning Appointment in Bendigo, VIC, Australia
It would help if you took as much care of the dentures as you would your teeth because good oral hygiene is always crucial. If persistent stains build up over time, you can always contact Integrated Smiles. Our experts will remove any difficult stains and polish the dentures to give them a new look. With our dental services, we aim to give back your smile.
If you have any queries or want to schedule an appointment at our clinic, contact our team today!