Teeth caps or dental crowns are commonly used dental restorations if your teeth are badly damaged. The dentist places the teeth caps over the infected tooth treated by root canal treatment.
While dentists apply different materials in dental crowns, metal ones are the strongest. Metal teeth caps have been used for quite some time now. It is worth mentioning that metal teeth caps can last the lifetime of an adult tooth. We will explain the advantages and disadvantages of metal teeth caps.
Why are teeth caps used?
Your teeth can get damaged over time due to tooth decay, injuries, or trauma. If your tooth has become weak or lost its shape or size, a dental crown or metal cap will cover the tooth and restore its functionality.
You may require a dental crown if you have the following:
- A badly damaged or infected tooth.
- A broken or cracked tooth.
- Discoloured tooth.
- Misshapen tooth.
- A dental implant needs to be covered.
- A dental bridge must be in place.
Companies make dental crowns or tooth caps from various materials, including porcelain, metals, composite resin, ceramic, and more.
Metal Teeth Caps
Metals are a popular material for dental crowns or tooth caps that can last longer than any other material. You will find the metal teeth caps from materials like the following:
- Gold Alloys: These teeth caps mix gold and other metals, usually zinc, platinum, copper, silver, or Palladium. Gold alloy teeth bond securely to your teeth and don’t wear down or fracture easily.
- Base Metal Alloys: These are nickel-chromium metal gaps, which are highly resistant to corrosion. A perfect choice can be the teeth caps made from base metal alloy for highly decayed teeth, as it needs the least amount of enamel.
Advantages of Metal Teeth Caps
Metal teeth caps are made from the most robust materials and are more affordable than other teeth caps. Metal teeth caps can take on more pressure and are highly durable, making them an excellent choice for molars out of sight.
Metal teeth caps break or chip, usually lasting the longest out of any other dental crown material. They are the best at withstanding chewing and biting forces.
Disadvantages of metal teeth caps
The most significant disadvantage of metal teeth gaps is that they do not look like actual teeth. If you are worried about the appearance of your smile, then the idea of getting shiny metal teeth caps for the front teeth won’t appeal to you. However, they are an excellent choice for less visible teeth, usually at the back of the mouth.
Also, remember that some people are allergic to metals. If you are also among them, communicate it with your dental professional.
Alternatives to Metal Teeth Caps
The following are some alternatives to metal teeth caps.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: It merges the metal strength with the aesthetics of porcelain, making it an ideal choice for both the front and back teeth.
- Ceramic and Porcelain: If you want a teeth cap that resembles a natural tooth, then ceramic and porcelain teeth caps are perfect. How about these materials are not as durable as metal, and removing tooth enamel for these teeth caps is necessary.
- Resin and Zirconia: These teeth caps are also pretty durable.
Dental Restorations in Bendigo, VIC, Australia
Integrated smile is the right choice if you’re looking for a skilled dentist in Bendigo, VIC, Australia. Our team of highly experienced dentists is professional in restorative dentistry procedures like dental crowns and metal teeth caps.
Contact our super-friendly customer service today and schedule your appointment.